So you’ve got a patio. That’s wonderful, but you may notice that the sun can get mighty hot during the summer, or that even a gentle rain can disrupt your outdoor parties or relaxation time.
What you need is a patio cover.
When considering a cover for your patio, the first major decision you’ll need to make is the patio cover material. The vast majority of patio covers are made out of either aluminum or wood. Not sure which material is right for you. Not to worry! Take a look below at a detailed list of pros and cons for each material.
Wood Patio Cover
- Wood is a beautiful and strong material that will give your patio a more naturalistic feel.
- If your patio is made of wood, a wooden cover could provide a more pleasing ascetic.
- Wood is stronger than aluminum and will allow you to hang potted plants, fans, lightening, bird feeders and other medium-weight items.
- The material cost of wood is usually significantly cheaper than aluminum.
- Wood requires yearly care and maintenance that can be time-consuming. It will need to be regularly stained and sealed, which can be difficult in hard-to-reach areas of the cover.
- Wood is much more vulnerable to the elements than aluminum. It can become bleached and cracked in the sun or develop mold or wood rot if the environment is too wet. A wood patio cover is not recommended for overly wet or humid environments, such as near the ocean.
- Wood is susceptible to termite damage.
Aluminum Patio Cover
- Aluminum patio covers require little maintenance and are very easy to take care of. Just some water and a sponge are all this is needed to keep them clean.
- Aluminum is not susceptible to the environment. It can handle lots of sun, rain and almost anything else nature can throw at it. This also means that there aren’t many location restrictions.
- Aluminum patio covers ten to outlast wooden patio covers.
- Aluminum is not vulnerable to termites, mold, wood rot or rust.
- Aluminum patio covers tend to be less ascetically pleasing than wooden patio covers.
- The material cost of aluminum is usually significantly higher than wood.
- Aluminum patio covers are not as strong as wood patio covers and cannot support things like potted plants, fans or bird feeders unless special support structures are added.
- An aluminum patio cover also requires more expertise to install than a wood patio cover and may require a specialized company rather than a local handyman.
Hopefully, this information has given you some insight into the differences between wooden patio covers and aluminum patio covers and will help you make a more informed decision. For more information or to sit down with a patio construction specialist, give Best Rate Repair a call at (619) 229-0116. We offer expert construction services, fair prices, excellent customer service and a fast turnaround.