Aluminum Patio Cover vs Wood Patio Cover

So you’ve got a patio. That’s wonderful, but you may notice that the sun can get mighty hot during the summer, or that even a gentle rain can disrupt your outdoor parties or relaxation time.

What you need is a patio cover.

When considering a cover for your patio, the first major decision you’ll need to make is the patio cover material. The vast majority of patio covers are made out of either aluminum or wood. Not sure which material is right for you. Not to worry! Take a look below at a detailed list of pros and cons for each material.

Wood Patio Cover

Pros

• Wood is a beautiful and strong material that will give your patio a more naturalistic feel.
  • If your patio is made of wood, a wooden cover could provide a more pleasing ascetic.
  • Wood is stronger than aluminum and will allow you to hang potted plants, fans, lightening, bird feeders and other medium-weight items.
  • The material cost of wood is usually significantly cheaper than aluminum.

Cons

• Wood requires yearly care and maintenance that can be time-consuming. It will need to be regularly stained and sealed, which can be difficult in hard-to-reach areas of the cover.
  • Wood is much more vulnerable to the elements than aluminum. It can become bleached and cracked in the sun or develop mold or wood rot if the environment is too wet. A wood patio cover is not recommended for overly wet or humid environments, such as near the ocean.
  • Wood is susceptible to termite damage.

Aluminum Patio Cover

Pros

• Aluminum patio covers require little maintenance and are very easy to take care of. Just some water and a sponge are all this is needed to keep them clean.
  • Aluminum is not susceptible to the environment. It can handle lots of sun, rain and almost anything else nature can throw at it. This also means that there aren’t many location restrictions.
  • Aluminum patio covers ten to outlast wooden patio covers.
  • Aluminum is not vulnerable to termites, mold, wood rot or rust.

Cons

• Aluminum patio covers tend to be less ascetically pleasing than wooden patio covers.
  • The material cost of aluminum is usually significantly higher than wood.
  • Aluminum patio covers are not as strong as wood patio covers and cannot support things like potted plants, fans or bird feeders unless special support structures are added.
  • An aluminum patio cover also requires more expertise to install than a wood patio cover and may require a specialized company rather than a local handyman.

Hopefully, this information has given you some insight into the differences between wooden patio covers and aluminum patio covers and will help you make a more informed decision.  For more information or to sit down with a patio construction specialist, give Best Rate Repair a call at (619) 229-0116. We offer expert construction services, fair prices, excellent customer service and a fast turnaround.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, ,

13 Responses to Aluminum Patio Cover vs Wood Patio Cover

1. rust remover May 1, 2012 at 10:10 am #

I know this web site gives quality based articles and extra data, is there any other site which provides
    such stuff in quality?

2. Christiane Holmquist May 31, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Thank you for this information. I agree with you on many points about the aluminum covers; for busy people they are a great alternative to wood. Another advantage is their resistance to fire – a big advantage in areas with high fire risk.
    Christiane Holmquist

3. Hardiplank Siding Houston September 10, 2012 at 6:48 am #

I think wood patio works well for me because wood can be stylish and is easy to handle and maintain.

Hardiplank Siding Houston

4. Sacramento Patio Covers December 9, 2012 at 12:36 am #

If you want your home to have a very appealing look, you should have patio covers. Just see to it that it has compose of quality materials that will lasts long.

5. Fitz May 5, 2015 at 5:24 pm #

I have recently been considering installing a cover for patio, as at sunset we are hit with the direct rays of the sun. I appreciate you addressing both types of patio cover that can be used,as they both have great benefits. I think it’s always important to research and ask around to find which style fits the design and needs of your patio.

6. Livia la presa September 25, 2015 at 12:27 pm #

After reading all the pros and cons of both wood and aluminum patio covers, I think that I will go for the wood cover for my patio because my patio is made of wood. I will contact you soon for more information.

• Best Rate Repair October 9, 2015 at 10:14 pm #

We are so happy you found this information useful . We look forward to helping you build that new patio cover !

7. Peter Lee May 12, 2016 at 1:08 am #

From a confuse reader

I am looking for replacing our patio cover (cover the patio), why are you only show the patio floor?

Please help to clear the topic. kind of composite warped Aluminium (square or rectangle) extrusions,

8. Ed June 9, 2016 at 10:47 pm #

What fasteners and how far apart when your installing a 2×10 wood ledger

9. Ed June 9, 2016 at 10:48 pm #

What fasteners and how far apart when your installing a 2×10 wood ledger. Asked before never got answered

10. Troy Blackburn January 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm #

I wasn’t aware that, like you said, all that is needed to maintain an aluminum patio cover is a sponge and some water! I’d say that’s low-cost! I’ve heard, too, that aluminum covers are able to lower your energy costs, too! That’s a convincing point for me! I’ll have to keep these tips in mind as I remodel my backyard and install a patio cover.

11. Afton Jackson July 21, 2017 at 4:31 pm #

I didn’t realize that aluminum patio covers aren’t susceptible to the elements and can handle different weather conditions. My sister just bought a home that has a patio in the backyard. A cover seems like it could help transform the area into a nice entertainment spot.

• Best Rate Repair October 18, 2017 at 7:17 pm #

Hello Afton, We totally agree with you a Patio cover does add a nice entertainment piece to any backyard. Aluminum patio covers are a great alternative and can withstand certain elements but heat is not one of them. For example, my wife and I purchased a home a couple years ago that had a nice aluminum patio cover and although it provides adequate shade and is easy to maintain it also heats up easier and can be 10 degrees hotter under it that if it were a wooden cover.

I hope this help and we appreciate your reply to our blog.