Provided by the California Contractors State License Board, here are 10 tips in assisting you to making the correct decision in hiring a contractor.
- Hire only licensed contractors.
- Check a contractor’s license number online at www.cslb.ca.gov or by calling
- Get three references, review past work.
- Get at least three bids.
- Get a written contract and don’t sign anything until you completely understand
- Never pay more than 10% down or $1,000, whichever is less.
- Don’t let your payments get ahead of their work. Keep records of payments.
- Don’t make final payment until you’re satisfied with the job.
- Don’t pay cash.
- Keep a job file of all papers relating to your project.