We’ve had another beautiful and mild winter in San Diego, but spring will be here soon. Spring is still the time renewal, rebirth and longer days. I don’t know about you, but spring is also the time I really start itching to spend more time outside, especially on a gorgeous weekend.
Spring is the time to sit out on the patio and read the paper in the morning (whether you prefer the print addition or swiping through stories on your phone or tablet), take a refreshing lunch outside or invite friends to drink wine around the fire pit at night.
Is your patio ready for spring? Here are a few things to check:
- Check the color and consistency of the wood. If you can’t remember the last time you’ve stained the wood, now is probably the time. Stain helps keep the wood’s color strong and to protect the wood from moisture and heat
- Visually review the patio and test the strength of the wood. If you notice that the wood looks wet or feels mushy, you could have a mold problem. If the wood feels weak or sounds hollow, you may have termites or simply need to replace old wood.
- Review the railings and stairs. If your patio has railings for stairs, test them. Push lightly against the railing to make sure it doesn’t move. Check to make sure each peg is steady. Go up and down the stairs. Do any of the stairs feel lose or weak?
- Clean, clean, clean. Patios collect dirt and debris, just like any other outdoor structure. Before you invite guests over, spray down your deck, sweep away dead leaves and grit and make sure you don’t have anything sticking between the wooden boards.
- Time for new furniture? Patio furniture is built to be durable, but even it can break down over time. If your patio furniture is looking a little rusty or bleached, it might be time to refresh your patio with a new set.
- Expansion time? Want an even bigger, better patio? If you want to be the host with the most for your next barbeque or outdoor party, consider expanding or remodeling your patio. Early spring is the perfect time to start planning for a remodel that could then be completed in time for summer barbeque season!
If you live in or around San Diego, our patio experts are here to help you review your patio. Our specialists can look for termites and wood rot, perform staining and cleaning and remodel your patio into an outdoor masterpiece.